Thursday, May 29, 2008

RMXTP2 Liner Notes: "Violet Stars, Happy Hunting!"


Video Taken by ME!
Janelle Monae LIVE in Oakland, CA 10/27/07 @ the Oakland Conservatory of Music

Before I ever heard her music, I was familiar with Janelle Monae´ through her highly stylized myspace page. This was around the time she was featured on Big Boi’s Purple Ribbon mixtape, before she surfaced on the “Idlewild” soundtrack or the “Morris Brown” video. I like what I heard. Real charismatic. When I heard “Call in the Law” on the soundtrack, I was sold. She had an undeniable amount stage presence on the damn CD! I could tell that she was playing the role while singing the song. I couldn’t wait to hear whatever she breathed on. One day Tap told me her first release was out; Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase. I can get real descriptive and all that, but I don’t think it’ll do justice to how excited I was to hear it. Everything was on point; the marketing, press, performances, costumes, blogs- and of course the MUSIC. Contemporary Black Art at its finest. I love a good concept project and this is the best of that. Apparently Diddy was intrigued enough to add her to the family. With siblings like Danity Kane and Day 26, lets hope there’s enough food at the table for everyone to eat… I’d love to see Making the Band: The Wondaland Arts Society Edition, although people with talent might be boring to watch... As far as me doing the remix, this is probably my favorite remix on the project. I understand that everyone needs love… especially cute androids.

Janelle Monae´- Violet Stars, Happy Hunting!.mp3

No comments: