Friday, April 18, 2008

RMXTP2 Liner Notes: “WesternSlapademickTenderSmobbinCosmicMusic”



The first time I heard OutKast in middle school, I couldn’t get it out my head. “Players Ball” and “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik” were the probably some of the most important records in my musical foundation. The musicality appealed to my love of west coast hip-hop at the time. The way Dre and Big Boi bobbed and weaved in and out of that good doubled-up rhyme style was similar to how rappers got down in Oakland. Everything from the music, to the image, to the message was so deliberate. The term “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik” was such a fresh and articulate way of describing a sound so multifaceted. Not to mention it ushered in a new era for southern hip-hop.

So when it came to inevitably having to throw my brand of music in a category for the sake of explanation, I took a cue from the best group in hip-hop (yes, I said the best), and threw my own term together. I could breakdown all the slanguage in the term “WesternSlapademickTenderSmobbinCosmicMusic”, but I'll let the music speak for itself…

Outkast “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik” mp3.

1 comment:

Sain† Nate said...

The best ... i agree.