Thursday, April 24, 2008

RMXTP2 Liner Notes: "Come Get It"



Yummy Bingham “Come Get It” (Trackademicks Remix)

The first time I ever heard Yummy’s voice was on the De La’s “Much More”. I’ve been a fan ever since (can I just say that I’m hella mad that the Rayne album never dropped!). It’s funny because her voice is hit or miss with a lot of people.
From the moment Tap played this song for me, I knew exactly how I wanted to flip it. Because the original was and some grandiose street-funk-pound steez, I decided to take it in a totally different direction. I knew I had to double-time it because there is so much energy in her voice. I wanted it to be a little less hard-edged and more electric-bubble-pop and fun. Originally, I never intended on jumping on the remix, but it only made sense after listening to the direction it was going in.

I originally remixed this track unofficially for the Spring Progress Report, which I dropped in late March 2006. Tap managed to get the remix placed on Yummy’s fan site. At the same time, the popularity of the Spring Progress Report was growing, helping it gain visibility. A few months later it was picked up by Universal/ Motown in the UK. Apparently, the label had already released the single in the UK, but felt like releasing the remix would help create more excitement for her project. This remix served as sort of a sign for me in probably one of the worst times in my life, as it was released in the UK literally one day after my studio had burned down. This was my first official remix, so I couldn’t stop when the ball was already rolling…

The Rayne "Didn't You Know"

No comments: