Tuesday, April 22, 2008

RMXTP2 Liner Notes: “I Want You Back”



I usually don’t touch songs I love this much. I went back on that rule more than a few times during this [Re]Mixtape. When first heard this song I was instantly hooked. At the time, I was going through it. Raphael Saadiq is one of the best producers, if not the best, from of the Bay. This was by far the most mobbin’ song on the album, an offering already full of slap. “I Want You Back” was one of the two songs on the album featuring Teedra Moses, the other being “Chic”. Teedra’s debut album Complex Simplicity was pretty much my favorite album of 2004… It definitely got more burn than any other record I was listening to that year. On that project, Saadiq produced and featured on “Take Me”, where his signature strings and guitar provided the PERFECT cupcakin’ soundtrack.

I really did this remix to pay homage to two of my favorite artists. When approaching this remix, I wanted to bring that “future-throwback” sound, on that new millennium Cherelle & Alexander O’Neal steelo. Eventually I would love to work with both of them. Rephrase that. MUST work with them. Both. This isn’t the first time I remixed either of them. Check out my rework of Saadiq’s “Rifle Love” on the first [Re]Mixtape. I also did a remix of Teedra Moses’ “Be Your Girl”…

Raphael Saadiq “I Want You Back” feat. Teedra Moses.mp3

No comments: