Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Liner Notes: Wale "Ice Cream Girl" (Trackademicks Remix)



I love it when folks rep their city. Those who've let it permeate every piece of them till they're inseparable from it. Locality and region in music are getting lost more and more in the shuffle of today's Viacom/Clear Channel fed generation. Things are sounding the same. Regional colloquialisms are getting edged. New rappers seem to adopt the accent of whoever is on top of the charts. Many producers are copies of a copy. Shit is outta control.

I don't say this to say its all bad. There are a lot of good things going on; you just have to pay attention a little bit harder to get any substance though all the filler.

When I first heard of Wale putting the nation's capital on his back with his brand of hip-hop, I was all for it. DC isn't the first place people think of when hip-hop comes to mind. So when Wale dropped a Go-Go infused "Ice Cream Girl", I had to respect it.

This also meant, as a Bay Area representative, I had to bring it right back home with the remix. What else than to reference Dru Down's "Ice Cream Man" feat the Luniz. I borrowed first line of Yukmouth's verse for the hook. Originally I flipped Funkadelic's "Nappy Dugout" like Dru Down's, but decided to a create something Fresh(Coast) from scratch and jump on that thang.

Grab the [RE]Mixtape Vol. 3 HERE!

No comments: